Sunday, August 1, 2010

Something something dark side, something something fuck

So, after having a chat with a coworker in the wee hours of the morning, I now have a proper distinction between a debate and an argument. A debate is a conversation between two or more people, with some back and forth action, about a topic of which the participants possess apposing views on; or at least in the case of having the same opinion the participants objectively discuss different viewpoints on other sides to the issue. An argument is when two or more persons do the latter, but throw in subjectivity, emotion, and anger; plus a need to be in the right.

Here in lies my problem. I love to debate about stuff. I find most everything interesting (to some extent) and even when I know very little about the topic being discussed, I relish expressing any insight I may have. I consider exposure to different opinions and perspectives an essential component of a healthy life. Awareness and acknowledgement of the diversity of opinions and viewpoints out there, I feel, is enriching and gives one a greater grasp of the world around them. Being able to express yourself in this way is just as good for one's well being. Why do you think people blog, post on forums or question sites? It is because people seek a safe way to express their concerns and opinions on things. Yes, I know that the internet is wrought with trolls who will criticize anything you say, invalidating my point, turning your hopes for debates into a reality of arguments. However, the internet provides anonymity, so though online arguments may never lead to intelligent, healthy debates and discussions, it still provides the catharsis we humans need every now and then; the release and then chance that there will be at least one person out there who agrees with you, or validates your stance, or at least acknowledges your right to have an opinion about something that may differ from those of others.

I like to talk about stuff. Partially because of all that was said above, and the partially for selfish reasons. I grew up never having the freedom to express myself in any form other than arguing. When I reached the school age where students and instructors begin to initiate and engage discussions in class, I never participated; because my life experience in civil discussion was limited, and I was afraid to say anything for fear of sounding stupid or being scolded. Now that I am an "adult" and I've been through my "education phase" I feel I have a pretty good grasp on the general "isms" and what-nots of the world, and strongly stand by my own feelings and opinions about things, and the rationality, passion, and intelligence behind them.
I know I am not stupid, or illogical, or a complete idiot. I approach a discussion about anything with an opinion founded on facts, feelings, and reason, and with the balls to actually discuss it with people.

I don't just say "well I think ____" and then begin to make statements without facts or critical thinking to back them up. If I am wrong about something and called out on it, I am more than happy to admit it, and seek the correct information so that I may re-consider my views on something.

I need to make a moment to say this: If you like, dislike, care, or don't give a shit about something, and like to argue with people who have apposing views about whatever the something may be, please back it up with logic and reason; because it is so annoying when you say something, then someone buts in and makes an "all or nothing," global, or general statement about why your wrong and they are right. Get this strait folks: you can not make general statements about something without shit to back it up with. Even with statistics from years of research pointing to a general trend, a phenomena can not be generalized to encompass all humans; meaning that [insert social phenomena/or other here] will happen no matter what. You can maybe say that [___] is most likely to happen, but terms like will and always and inevitable do not exist in reality! I don't care what you say; even in science most shit isn't 100% certain. For gods sake, don't be a pussy. If your feel some way about something, and nothing will change your mind, then just say "I think ____ because thats just the way it is." Don't make said above mistakes. It is aggravating.

And here is my disclaimer: it is not like I am completely exempt from doing this type of closed minded behavior. No one is perfect or flawless, and no one should be. I'd maybe appreciate being called out on my bullshit, because for the most part I can man up and take it, as long as it isn't delivered with malice.

The world would be boring if everyone thought and felt the same. Sharing opinions, likes, and dislikes with others is how we make friends and keep life interesting. Confidence in your thoughts and feelings is wonderful and admirable; but one becomes ugly when confidence turns into a need to somehow prove who's opinion is right or better (which, by the way, is IMPOSSIBLE).

Being passionate about things is what makes us human; being closed minded is what makes us rednecks.

Oh, and by the way - per my own advice above - I don't give a shit if you disagree with my opinion on this. I welcome any discussion about it, and I'll do my best to back it up ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment